Will 3B supplant current commercial super-resolution scopes?

Bayesian analysis of blinking and bleaching

Will 3B supplant current commercial super-resolution scopes?

Postby jmesquib » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:35 pm

Hello,
My laboratory is considering on purchasing a commercial super resolution microscope (STORM, SIM, PALM). After researching 3B techniques, I am seriously questioning if these current technologies will be completely supplanted by improved data processing algorithms on standard microscopes. As computing power is exponentially increasing and becoming cheaper, I hypothesize that this would likely be the case. If anyone has any thoughts on this I would greatly appreciate your thoughts and time.

Thanks!
Joe Esquibel
jmesquib

Re: Will 3B supplant current commercial super-resolution sco

Postby susancox » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:46 pm

Hi Joe,

I think it depends on what exactly the information needed from the experiment is. It is not currently possible to get superresolution in the z direction using a standard widefield microscope. Commercial SIM and STORM systems will do this (though the different STORM systems use different methods for achieving superresolution in the z direction). The problem with using a widefield system is that the point spread function changes in the same way on either side of focus so there is not a way to determine where it is in z. Another issue is that if you want to observe dynamic processes it can be advantageous to have a strong laser source available to allow you to speed up data acquisition.

But I would agree with you that as computational power increases, we are going to be able to get more and more information out of standard widefield systems.
susancox

Return to 3B